Without Walls invites artists and companies to request support for the creation and touring of new outdoor work for presentation in 2020 and 2021. A further Open Call for 2021 projects will take place in 2020.
Without Walls issues Open Calls to artists in order to ensure that all artists have the opportunity to present their ideas to the consortium in an equal and democratic way. We have found that this is a great way of finding out about new artists and projects – though the large response that we usually have to these Open Calls means that there are always far more projects than we are able to support. We very much value the work and time that artists put into these Open Calls and thank you in advance for your interest.
We try to keep the proposal forms as succinct as possible, hoping that they strike a balance between giving us the important information we need, without taking too much time for the artists to complete. All projects are read by the festival partners and we work together to select a programme that can work for all of the festivals. This always involves lengthy negotiation between the festivals as we have to manage multiple priorities and reach a consensus within a limited budget.
All artists interested in requesting creation and touring support need to apply through this same open call process; all the applications that we receive will are read by the Without Walls Artistic Directorate and are given the same level of consideration.
Eligibility and guidance
- We are looking for work from all disciplines and genres, that is innovative and ambitious and challenges the idea of what outdoor arts can be.
- The work must be suitable for outdoor touring and artists should be committed to exploring touring opportunities for the works in addition to the Without Walls festivals.
- Proposals for work could be adaptable in scale, suitable for daytime and/or evening presentation and may also include promenade or processional based elements.
- Without Walls exists to support the development of new and ambitious work by UK artists; we can support projects that are developed in association with International artists, but the lead partner on the project must be based in the UK.
- Most projects supported by Without Walls are shows that we have commissioned. However, in some cases, we will support the touring of a project that has already raised its creation costs, provided that the show has not already toured in the UK, and provided it clearly meets our priorities.
- For commissions and touring projects in 2020: Please note the work should be available from May to September 2020 and be available to tour to Without Walls festivals where the interest lies. It is expected that shows commissioned for 2020 will also be available to tour from April – October 2021, allowing them to tour to TNP festivals if required.
- For commissions in 2021: The work should be available from May to September 2021 and be available to tour to Without Walls festivals where the interest lies. It is expected that show commissioned for 2021 will also be available to tour from April – October 2022, allowing them to tour to TNP festivals if required.
The deadline for receipt of proposals is 10 am on Monday the 22nd of July.
All applications should be made online at www.withoutwalls.uk.com/open-calls
For more information about the open call and all associated material and support documentation visit www.withoutwalls.uk.com/open-calls or contact a member of the Without Walls management team at XTRAX at 0161 227 8383.