Insights from Green Production Lab at 101 Outdoor Arts Creation Space
Exploring the challenges and opportunities for reducing the environmental impacts of outdoor festivals, events, and touring productions
Green Production Lab residential event
Building on the success of the first Green Production Lab online event, this 3-day residential training and development Lab hosted at 101 Outdoor Arts in November 2021 brought together 15 outdoor production professionals to explore leadership in relationship to environmental work, how to build sustainability practice into the heart of outdoor arts work, and promote sharing and re-use across festival networks.
Read an overview of the Green Production Lab programme here.
About the programme
This opportunity was designed for production management professionals working across the Outdoor Arts sector who are committed to making sustainable changes to their events and organisations.
The programme included practical and informative workshops covering key topics in sustainability practice and coaching and leadership skills, and also offered space for peer-to-peer discussion and relationship building through informal activities.
- Bettina Linstrum – Director, Arts Agenda
- Mark Denbigh – Head of Production and Programme, Norfolk and Norwich Festival
With contributions from guest Speakers and Workshop hosts:
- Teresa Moore – Director, A Greener Festival
- Ward Erhart – Director, Event Engineers, technical consultancy and event services for Oerol Festival
- Chris Church – Director, Community Environment Associates
- Martin Lines – Director, Wyrd Designz
Hosted at 101 Outdoor Arts Creation Space
Meet the participants
- Aileen Ging – Production Manager, Wild Rumpus
- Anya Fox – Independent Production Manager, Inside Out Festival Dorset and various projects including Oxford City Council events
- Benjamin Turner – Independent Production Manager, Sideshow Productions
- Beth Piggott – Producer, ArtReach
- Dan Lake – Production Manager, Brighton Festival and Same Sky
- Lucy Marriott – ArtWorks South Yorkshire
- Isla Telford – Co-Director, Urban Wilderness
- James Burgess – Independent Production Manager, Out There Arts, Norfolk and Norwich Festival and various projects
- Jude Wright – Freelance Producer and Director, Bent Architect Theatre Company
- Loz Samuels – Artistic Director, Devizes Outdoor Celebratory Arts
- Matt Evans – Festivals Production Manager, Birmingham Hippodrome
- Natalie Chan – General Manager, Creative Youth and the International Youth Arts Festival
- Nathan Jackson – Head of Production, Walk the Plank
- Pablo Cattermole – Production Manager, Emergency Exit Arts
- Paula Birtwistle – Independent Production Manager and Green Champion for Culture Weston, currently working with Theatre Orchard and Extraordinary Bodies
Images: Green Production Lab – November 2021 at 101 Outdoor Arts Creation Centre © Danielle Corbishley