Open Call: Without Walls Discover Programme 2021
Are you looking to develop your understanding of Outdoor Arts?
Without Walls, in association with The Arches Worcester Festivals at Severn Arts, presents The Without Walls Discover Programme 2021.
The Discover Programme empowers those who are curious about creating work in the outdoor arts sector by offering an understanding of the outdoor arts sector through a unique series of sessions with industry practitioners.
A key aim of this programme is to increase the representation of those who are currently underrepresented in the sector in terms of – for example – ethnicity or disability and to encourage long-term development of their artistic practice.
Without Walls is delighted to announce the 2021 Discover Programme is open and will be facilitated as an accessible online programme.
The online Discover Programme will offer:
- Opportunities to find out about what is involved in creating and touring outdoor work
- Sessions with key industry contacts – such as producers, directors, programmers and more – working in outdoor arts
- Chances to build a network, ask questions and explore ways to constructively develop your own practice or work
- Opportunities to identify research and development needs, and potential additional coaching with an industry expert to progress development
Places are limited and we are expecting to offer 12 spots on the programme.
Who is the programme for?
The programme is designed for UK professionals including:
● Artists, Directors, Producers or anyone working within performance or live events
● Those who are looking at transferring and/or producing work for the outdoors
● Those who are currently underrepresented in the outdoor arts sector*
*The programme is open to all, however, we will prioritise registrations of interest from those who are currently underrepresented in the sector in terms of ethnicity and/or disability.
Programme outline and key dates
The Discover Programme will include a series of online sessions across four weeks with speakers who have experience of working in outdoor arts in a variety of roles. Each session will include presentations followed by a reflective discussion:
- Meet the artists: An opportunity to meet artists and directors who have created and toured work in the outdoor sector for many years. They will share their experience of working at outdoor festivals, transferring work from indoor to outdoor locations and offer top tips to people thinking of working in this exciting sector.
- Meet the festivals: Meet some of the leading artistic directors of festivals in the country, gain insight into the programming process and learn how best to present your work and make approaches and relationships.
- Meet the producers: A range of experienced producers familiar with the outdoor arts sector in the UK and internationally will share the secrets of their success and alongside practical advice on the rigours of touring, managing the budget and useful do’s and don’ts.
- Meet the funders and strategic organisations: Some of the key strategic organisations who work in outdoor arts will share vital information for artists about how to get ready to create and tour work; advice on funding, building networks, giving vital insight into key developments in policy, planning and sector development.
You must be able to attend all 4 Discover Programme sessions which run 10:30-12:00 on the following dates:
- Session 1: Thurs 4th March 2021
- Session 2: Thurs 11th March 2021
- Session 3: Thurs 18th March 2021
- Session 4: Thurs 25th March 2021
If you are not available for the above-mentioned sessions but would be interested in the Discover Programme 2022, please let us know.
On Tuesday 2nd March, we will also be holding an informal introduction / meet and greet session for successful participants to meet the team and each other. It is not compulsory, but attendance is strongly encouraged.
Bursaries and Access Provision
Without Walls is offering a small number of bursaries up to £200; these are offered to those who face a financial barrier in participating. As there are only a limited number of bursaries available, please describe when registering your interest what costs a bursary would cover.
We will be providing transcripts, recordings and captioning. BSL interpretation will be provided should any participant require an interpreter. Please tell us what would support you to fully take part in the Discover programme.
Register your interest
Please complete the online form, accessible below, by 5th February 2021. If you have any queries, please contact Rebecca Phillips at Severn Arts.
There are a limited number of places available, and you will be notified no later than 19th February on whether you are invited to take part in the programme.
Each participant will be required to sign a letter of agreement outlining the programme and to complete an evaluation at the end of the project, outlining; the insights they have gained, the new connections that they have made, and the ways in which they intend to apply their learning to their future practice.