Without Walls Discover Bursaries Programme
The Discover Programme empowers those who are curious about creating work in the outdoor arts sector by offering an understanding of the outdoor arts sector through a unique series of sessions with industry practitioners.
Discover Programme 2021
Building on the success of the Discover bursary programme in 2019, this year the programme has been reformatted to take place as an accessible online programme, which is being delivered by Without Walls in association with The Arches Worcester Festivals at Severn Arts.
The Discover Programme is for artists, directors, producers, designers and anybody else new to creating work in the outdoor arts sector. Through a unique series of group sessions with industry practitioners, Discover offers a broad insight into, and understanding of, what working in outdoor arts means. A key aim of this programme is to increase the representation of those who are currently underrepresented across the sector, particularly people who are ethnically and culturally diverse, people who experience racism, and people who are disabled.
Following a recent open call that attracted over 80 applicants, the programme is supporting 16 successful participants to attend a series of guided sessions with industry practitioners taking place across 4 online sessions in March 2021.
The Discover Programme will include a series of online sessions across four weeks with speakers who have experience of working in outdoor arts in a variety of roles. Each session will include presentations followed by a reflective discussion:
Thursday 4 March 2021, 10.30-12.00 – Meet the artists: An opportunity to meet artists and directors who have created and toured work in the outdoor sector for many years. They will share their experience of working at outdoor festivals, transferring work from indoor to outdoor locations and offer top tips to people thinking of working in this exciting sector.
- Subathra Subramaniam, Akademi (Chair)
- Adam Carver, Fantabulosa, PALAVER! And more
- Alison Holder, Producer, Talawa
- Andrew Kim, Artistic Director at Thingumajig Theatre
Thursday 11 March 2021, 10.30-12.00 – Meet the producers: A range of experienced producers familiar with the outdoor arts sector in the UK and internationally will share the secrets of their success and alongside practical advice on the rigours of touring, managing the budget and useful do’s and don’ts.
- Phil Hargreaves, Independent Producer / The Lead Bradford (chair)
- Amaya Dent, Independent Producer
- Alison King, Producer, Turtle Key Arts
- Lou Lomas, Independent Producer
Thursday 18 March 2021, 10.30-12.00 – Meet the festivals: Meet some of the leading artistic directors of festivals in the country, gain insight into the programming process and learn how best to present your work and make approaches and relationships.
- David Edmunds, Festival Director, Severn Arts (Chair)
- Ellie Harris, Executive Producer, FESTIVAL.ORG
- Charlotte Bowen, Director, The Culture House
- Dr Roxy Robinson, From the Fields
Thursday 25 March 2021, 10.30-12.00 – Meet the strategic organisations: Some of the key strategic organisations who work in outdoor arts will share vital information for artists about how to get ready to create and tour work; advice on funding, building networks, giving vital insight into key developments in policy, planning and sector development.
- Anais Biaux, Creative Development & Partnerships Manager, XTRAX/Without Walls (Chair)
- Danielle Corbishley, Head of 101 Outdoor Arts Creation Centre
- Angus MacKechnie, executive Director, Outdoor Arts UK
- A representative from the National Association of Street Artists (NASA)
- Clive Little, Artistic Director, Certain Blacks
This year’s participants include a wide range of artists, producers and directors working across various art forms, scale and genres:
- Aoi Nakamura Artistic Dir., AOE
- Bryony Farrant-Davis Creative Engagement & Community Producer
- Natalie Verhaegen Artistic Dir., Loose End Physical Theatre
- Ella Mesma Artistic Dir,, Ella Mesma Company
- Gina Chan Martinez Mass movement choreographer + live-action consultant
- Mahandra Patel Founder, teacher & performer, Kadence Music
- Olivia Altaras Designer, Maker & Community Artist
- Sonia Sabri Artistic Dir., Sonia Sabri Company
- Lauren Banks Young Peoples Producer, Contact
- Louise Brown Co-Artistic Dir., Velcro Collective
- Michaela Cisarikova Choreographer & teacher, Michaela Cisarikova Dance Company
- Nadia Iftkhar Artistic Dir. & CEO, Company of Others
- Sushmita Pati Artistic Dir., / Producer, Kala the Arts
- Symoné S Director / Performer, Fierce Flow
- Talita Moffatt Producer, Trade Arts
- Urja Thakore Artistic Dir., Pagrav Dance